Feature Suggestions

This topic contains 31 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

Am open to any and all – and we’ll go with majority vote?

GTROC NATIONAL EVENTS COORDINATOR
    GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 11 months ago
  • Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

Also, don’t worry, this thread will be moved to Admin and then deleted so it can’t be seen.

GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 11 months ago
  • Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

We need articles for the CMS – something like:
    RB26DETT engine – and evolutions
    VR38DETT engine – on CBA/DBA differences
    Stage 1-5 Upgrades – what do they mean, what are they?
    GR6 Gearbox – any technical information?
    Track Pack – the differences between that and a stock GTR
    SpecV – the differences as above.
    V-Spec – what does it mean?
    NISMO – what makes it special?
    2016 GTR News?
    R36 Gossip?
    M-SPEC R33/34
    etc

GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 11 months ago
  • evo9lution
    Participant

Looks really good so far! Thanks for all the hard work Rog, Ross, John F, John G & Joel :)

My first comment, do we want a specific section for Cleaning, Detailing and Wrapping maybe?

Also, under the GTR OC meetings section, I wonder if some of the big, annual ‘marquee’ GTR OC events such as ASDA charity day, JapFest, CPOP should have their own sub-section and then the regional or less ‘marquee’ events could be posted in a general events-type section? Each event could then have a sub-section by year and by Post Event Chat. This makes it easier to find relevant threads rather than searching, which can obviously throw up lots of other threads where the search term is included …

Lastly, I think that we should ban Steve from the NISMO – what makes it special? section listed above :)

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

Interested to get people’s ideas on that. Again, happy to set it up if it’s a majority vote
    J

GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Anonymous #99006

Haha will wait to see what Steve says (perhaps he can have his own rants section?)

Regarding events I think they should lol be in one place so everyone has best chance to see them personally.

Cleaning and detailing is good idea and is Skyline/GTR agnostic and could be sponsored and area for traders to give hints and tips.

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Anonymous #99007

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33[/ATTACH]

I am posting this photo directly uploaded from iPad with no useless Photobucket link nonsense. I like this very much ;-)

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Anonymous #99010

Lost view for Calendar would be handy so you can scan through the full year etc easily if possible?

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

There’s an overhead on doing that, Rog. The DB scans, then orders and displays. The code on the CMS and in the forum block just lists the next 5 events in order. That’ll have to do for now, probably.

Will note it though and sharpen my SQL skillzzz

GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Ludders
    Administrator

Cannot reply using the blue button from my iPad?.

My initial reaction when I first come on the forum is that the logo is missing. We read from left to right and the natural place for the Club logo is left top corner????

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

It’s a bit of an effort to move the logo to top left and maintain the alignment.
    Any other thoughts? Personally, I like it in the top right.

GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Anonymous #99029

There’s an overhead on doing that, Rog. The DB scans, then orders and displays. The code on the CMS and in the forum block just lists the next 5 events in order. That’ll have to do for now, probably.

Will note it though and sharpen my SQL skillzzz

Just a well chosen index? :)

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Anonymous #99030

Speedy replied to the email that Rog sent yesterday with a list of suggestions…. not sure if you want to replicate that here Kriss? Anyway, one suggestion was to bring together all of the various models and use the same forum for all of them, to avoid the “them and us” of R35 vs the rest ( which presumably will become R36 vs R35 vs the rest ;). ) I think that the “bringing together” reason works, but not the practicality. The fact of the matter is that the VR38DETT cars are significantly different to the RB26DETT based cars and so on.

So, I would suggest that the practical discussions that are affected by this…. so mods, engine, transmission etc need to remain separate, because most people who own a 35 won’t be that interested in tweaks for an L20E for example. You could in theory have a drop down filter, but people simply won’t select the correct category when posting.

The general chat forum *could* be the same for all cars, but my cynical self thinks that rather than stopping the “them and us” scenario, it’ll turn into all out war :(

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Anonymous #99031

Is there a pop-up smiley list as on the old forum that I can’t find? Being someone who suffers from “smiley-blindness” I used to find that really useful!

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

There should be a smiley list on the right hand side? We only have 11, so I’ll have to start work on adding more. I’ve checked both editors (using Google Chrome) and the Smileys appear there.

Anyone else have that problem? If so, can you tell me what browser you’re running? :)

GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

Speedy replied to the email that Rog sent yesterday with a list of suggestions…. not sure if you want to replicate that here Kriss? Anyway, one suggestion was to bring together all of the various models and use the same forum for all of them, to avoid the “them and us” of R35 vs the rest ( which presumably will become R36 vs R35 vs the rest ;). ) I think that the “bringing together” reason works, but not the practicality. The fact of the matter is that the VR38DETT cars are significantly different to the RB26DETT based cars and so on.

So, I would suggest that the practical discussions that are affected by this…. so mods, engine, transmission etc need to remain separate, because most people who own a 35 won’t be that interested in tweaks for an L20E for example. You could in theory have a drop down filter, but people simply won’t select the correct category when posting.

The general chat forum *could* be the same for all cars, but my cynical self thinks that rather than stopping the “them and us” scenario, it’ll turn into all out war :(

Sadly, I think you’re right. The cars are very different beasts, as are the owners. Must admit, coming from a Supra, I’ve little interest in what the R32/33/34 can do. And I know some R32/33/34 owners have no interest in the R35.
    Majority verdict?

GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Anonymous #99034

There should be a smiley list on the right hand side? We only have 11, so I’ll have to start work on adding more. I’ve checked both editors (using Google Chrome) and the Smileys appear there.

Anyone else have that problem? If so, can you tell me what browser you’re running? :)

I thought I was going mad, because I read this, looked, and hey presto – it’s there! BUT… it only appears on the WYSIWYG editor, not the basic ( default ) one… so I’m not going mad after all :). Well, I might be, but that wasn’t the sign :D

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Anonymous #99036

Sadly, I think you’re right. The cars are very different beasts, as are the owners. Must admit, coming from a Supra, I’ve little interest in what the R32/33/34 can do. And I know some R32/33/34 owners have no interest in the R35.
    Majority verdict?

I suspect anything other would end badly/confusing and not help us welcome people – gets my vote.

2 years, 10 months ago
  • evo9lution
    Participant

Haha will wait to see what Steve says (perhaps he can have his own rants section?)

Regarding events I think they should lol be in one place so everyone has best chance to see them personally.

Cleaning and detailing is good idea and is Skyline/GTR agnostic and could be sponsored and area for traders to give hints and tips.

Cheers Rog! :)

However, the events bit is what I have seen on other forums and can work quite well. Something like this:

EVENTS

– 2014
    — Silverstone Trackday 07-Dec-14
    — Silverstone Trackday 07-Dec-14 – Post Event Chat

– 2015
    — 2015 Event
    — 2015 Post Event Chat
    – 2014
    — 2014 Event
    — 2014 Post Event Chat

– 2015
    — 2015 Event
    — 2015 Post Event Chat
    – 2014
    — 2014 Event
    — 2014 Post Event Chat

– 2015
    — Round 1 – Oulton Park
    — Round 2 – Snetterton
    — Post Event Chat
    – 2014
    — Round 1 – Castle Combe
    — Round 2 – Snetterton
    — Post Event Chat
    etc.

What this actually does is keeps the events in a single umbrella area but splits them out so that you can quickly navigate to where you want to go. It is especially helpful for newbies who may be looking for information on a particular event. It also keeps the total number of threads down …

For the GTROC Affiliated Meetings and Events, it may be wise that only GTROC staff can create threads but anybody can post replies. For the Non-GTROC …, anybody can create threads.

I also think it may be a good idea to place another link to the Events Calendar in this section.

2 years, 10 months ago
  • Kriss Merchant
    Administrator

I’ve rolled out the WYSIWYG editor across the board for everyone. Should cure the problem, should’ve done that before, but imported users get default . Grrr.

I think I follow with the Events. Rog, have a think? My view:
    Events (only GTROC
    -ASDA OYMD
    –2015
    –2016
    –etc
    -Litcho Sprint Series
    –2015
    –2016
    –etc
    -European Hunt for Red Wine
    –2015
    –2016
    –etc

Is this right? We can add years very easily per event.

GTROC SOCIAL MEDIA

WWW.ARKHAMRACING.CO.UK

#DRIVETRIBE - FOREVER 23

2 years, 10 months ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.